Author Topic: The Joy of the Neglected Modern  (Read 989 times)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: The Joy of the Neglected Modern
« Reply #15 on: 07.01. 2023 17:27 »
i bought urma yonda and she was stood for 12 years and had water in the left fork leg. getting her something like was lots of work. rear wheel spindle solid in the inner races was one of many problems. as for the exhaust i kept trying the nuts on the head studs after giving them loads of heat on and of off for days. i knew they were going to snap just like many other bolts on the bike did. i didn't want to wrap the pipes or end up taking the head off but two out of the four had little chrome left because it was left on the side stand. good job i didn't want to get her back to showroom condition and just ride her instead of looking at her.

Nice pic of the 'stable' mate - are you missing my motor yet??
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #16 on: 07.01. 2023 22:21 »
worty i did get attached to it but i am not missing it, i never want to see one with the problems i found with yours again, i am looking forward to getting the berglar build pistons back after having to have the pin holes honed out because the pins are a good 1 thou oversize . they would never go in even with hot piston and frozen pins *bash* *bash*

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #17 on: 07.01. 2023 22:34 »
worty i did get attached to it but i am not missing it, i never want to see one with the problems i found with yours again, i am looking forward to getting the berglar build pistons back after having to have the pin holes honed out because the pins are a good 1 thou oversize . they would never go in even with hot piston and frozen pins *bash* *bash*

Heh, I reckon you've got a good combination there - a modern, a Bergs Beeza and a project.  Went out on the Kwaka a couple of days ago in the rain and loved it, despite getting wet and the bike covered in road siht.  Will be looking at the centre stand issue soon before lugging the motor in, etc, so stay tuned on the Worty's Engine Build thread.  If you're up for it, I wouldn't mind nipping down on it once it's built and maybe having a trip to MWAS so he can see the fruits of yours and his labours??  As you said, having a modern puts one type of smile on your face, but our bikes are summat else.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend