Author Topic: head steady  (Read 486 times)

Offline pommy john

• Active
head steady
« on: 26.12. 2022 00:52 »
  Merry chrissy to all, and thanks to admin for accepting me into the group.
  I am Totally rebuilding a 1952 A10 plunger and having over many years , like many , either just refreshed or totally modified into cafe racer and the like i am building this a little different. Now the point in Question , the head steady. i got hold of this bike in a lot of pieces and slowly it is taking shape, and i am at the head steady stage. a have seen a few pics showing a bracket bolted down to the rocker box with a link going toward the rear attached to the frame. i have none of these parts and cant see a lug on the frame. Now ,,there is a lug on the down tubes in front of the head, and i have fabricated stainless steel tube stays from the front lower rockerbox studs forward to this frame lug.   Any thoughts or comments please ?     i would love to show a pic but can not work out how to add it to this post. (i am only a guy )   (having said that a pic may appear LOL )
Tassie 52 A10

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: head steady
« Reply #1 on: 26.12. 2022 03:02 »
If you use the search function for "Head Steady" you will find a lot of information including making a rubber mounted one.
the steady is anchored to the same bolt that holds the rear feame member to the front frame member under the seat so one end has a horizontal flat to take a vertical bolt
The other end has a vertical flat to fit over the clamp bolt .
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 26.12. 2022 04:55 »
G'day PJ  *welcome*
Looks good to me.
The main reason plungers/rigids rockerbox doesn't leak (as much).
The later swing arm type transmits all the stress through the rockerbox to head joint!
What's the story with the carb at an angle? More pics please.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 26.12. 2022 07:34 »
Welcome PJ
Your winter/summer evenings will just fly by
S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 26.12. 2022 10:57 »
What you have done looks fine and is in keeping with original fitments. Bearin mind that stainless steel doesn't cope with vibration quite as well as mild steel so will crack if stressed. Nice project. Good to see another A10 heading back on the road.

Offline pommy john

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 26.12. 2022 11:12 »
 Yes i understande about staino and vibration but it will prob be a low mileage sort of bike , but you are correct , i will keep my eye on them. Cant wait to be cruising around on it in Tassie later nxt yr.
Tassie 52 A10