Author Topic: Drive Side Main Bearing  (Read 348 times)

Offline maaseyracer

• Active
Drive Side Main Bearing
« on: 05.01. 2023 19:44 »
I need to replace the Drive side bearing on my 53 A7 engine. it looks to me like the bearing is the same side as an NJ206. I run these bearings on the timing side of my A65/A70 builds.

Has anyone here had experience running an NJ bearing in particular a bronze cage C3 clearance NJ bearing?

I already have a couple NJ206 bearings in my shop and would need to order an OE style bearing.
California 48 A7 LS, short stroke motor.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Drive Side Main Bearing
« Reply #1 on: 05.01. 2023 20:31 »
I used one many years ago when I couldn't get an NF206. Worked fine.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Drive Side Main Bearing
« Reply #2 on: 06.01. 2023 09:53 »
 NJ Type design retains the rollers within the outer race, allowing easy access to the inner race for removal from the crank in order to shim the crank endfloat. If anything a far better choice of bearing than the original (an NF Type) we've all damaged brand new bearing cages trying to get that puller to work with the rollers in the way. If you have an NJ to hand, that's ideal, just the job performance wise and will be far easier to set up than the original stock design.

Lots about this bearing, its fitment and pitfalls together with facts and choice of other types available already on the Forum. 67 670 is the original BSA Part no. used on all shortstroke engines.... start to finish.

Swarfy.