Author Topic: Backfiring on downhill descents  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
Re: Backfiring on downhill descents
« Reply #15 on: 08.11. 2022 01:04 »
Should anyone need any Amal carbs doing (both Monoblocs and Pre Monos are same prices ) then give him a ring on 02392  580708 after 6pm. His name is Kevin Traill  at Alverstoke Restorations in Gosport Hampshire  he is helpful and likes a chat
and no I am not related in any way and he gave his permission to put his details on here . 
had my pre monobloc sleeved over 2 year ago and still doing well, came back like new for under £50
Regards dave

Nice one, thats a damn sight more swallowable than the price of a new pre-monobloc. Good to have a personal recommendation too.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 08.11. 2022 01:11 »
Screwing the throttle stop right down, so the slide is completely closed, should stop the engine.

Does that not happen?

The way to test for air leaks into the inlet manifold (which can make it hard to slow the idle down) is to have the engine idling and spray WD40 on the joints.  If the engine note changes, there’s a leak.

TT, thanks for the tips.
Nope the engine doesn't cut out when the throttle stop screw is turned right down, guess thats an indicator summat aint right!

Ill give the wd40 trick a go when i can get the beast out of the garage.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #17 on: 08.11. 2022 06:57 »
Screwing the throttle stop right down, so the slide is completely closed, should stop the engine.

Does that not happen?

The way to test for air leaks into the inlet manifold (which can make it hard to slow the idle down) is to have the engine idling and spray WD40 on the joints.  If the engine note changes, there’s a leak.

TT, thanks for the tips.
Nope the engine doesn't cut out when the throttle stop screw is turned right down, guess thats an indicator summat aint right!

Ill give the wd40 trick a go when i can get the beast out of the garage.
G'day Minto.
That means the cable is too short and holding the slide up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #18 on: 08.11. 2022 07:25 »
....It could also mean that the slide is so badly worn the carb is drawing air even when the slide is sitting on the base of the carb.

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 08.11. 2022 08:48 »
Should anyone need any Amal carbs doing (both Monoblocs and Pre Monos are same prices ) then give him a ring on 02392  580708 after 6pm. His name is Kevin Traill  at Alverstoke Restorations in Gosport Hampshire  he is helpful and likes a chat
and no I am not related in any way and he gave his permission to put his details on here . 
had my pre monobloc sleeved over 2 year ago and still doing well, came back like new for under £50
Regards dave

That's good to hear. He did a couple of carbs for me some years back but I understood (obviously incorrectly) that he'd stopped doing this work.
Recommended.

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 08.11. 2022 12:23 »
I hope he hasnt Rex i have a monobloc from another bike to send to him .
A mate of mine sent 2 to him back end of last year and was amazed with quality of his work , said his 59 Bonny had never run as well in the 15 years hes had it , and sent him 2 more from another one of his bikes early this year. so really do hope he hasnt packed up.
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003