Author Topic: To weld or not to weld?  (Read 1741 times)

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: To weld or not to weld?
« Reply #15 on: 21.10. 2021 17:47 »
It would be very surprising if it didn't... ;)

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: 24.10. 2021 09:31 »
Great background on that last photo. How did you get on Morris, would be interesting to hear if that weld has held together for some miles?
The frame hasn't moved since then. I just got round mounting the headstock with new conical bearings, but workload and other obligations kept me from going any further. Next step will be installing the forks and engine, but the plan is to first take the engine apart to check bearings and sludge trap (which has never been done for as long as I got the bike  *red* )
Keep you informed...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 24.10. 2021 16:06 »
That appears to be a great job. If any original stresses are relieved, I'd be very surprised if you have any trouble associated with the weld.

Richard L.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: 21.05. 2022 21:36 »
She's back! *woo*
Frame powdercoated
Bodywork respray
Swingarm replaced (the previous one was slightly bent which made the rear wheel sit at an angle)
Tapered bearings in the steering head
Cylinder head replaced (the old one had some knackered rocker box thread holes and a broken fin)
New "Lucas" wiring loom that needed a lot of fiddling/modifying. For starters, the "brown" wires on their diagram are in fact pink (something must have got lost in the chinese translation there). I also had to open up the loom both on battery and headlight end and cut and re-bullet because the guy who made it has been a bit overenthusiastic with his heat gun and melted some of the wires together... *roll*
Now get some miles on her to see if the weld holds... *shh*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 21.05. 2022 23:55 »
the stock a10 frame is well known for breaking on the front downtubes. dave degans said that they always broke there when pushed while racing and his cure was a horizontal tube strengthener welded above the bottom curve. i had my tribsa  welded there for a t120 engine and twin disc front end.
i could take a photo if anyone interested.