Author Topic: Plunger petrol tank  (Read 452 times)

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
Plunger petrol tank
« on: 01.03. 2022 18:54 »
Evening all

I have an A10 plunger and the petrol tank has two sort of rings on the back which need rubbers spacers etc etc

I am wondering if the plunger tanks I see with two flat mounting plates on the back will fit?

I am not looking for a flash mod but my tank has started leaking and the tanks with the round mountings on the backet seem a lot harder to find

Thanks in advance for any advice anybody can give

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Plunger petrol tank
« Reply #1 on: 02.03. 2022 12:45 »
 Tank with rear rubber mounts is the later type. The frame will have a rubber mounted bush at the front if it is contemporary. Early type solid mount tank should fit as the frame mounting point positions stayed the same and there is some small leeway in the tank lugs.  Use penny washers to mount the tank lugs without strain and don't neglect adding a simple bracing bar underneath if the tank has two vacant downward pointing studs at the front.

Swarfy.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 02.03. 2022 22:28 »
Thank you as long as the mounting holes are the same I can make it work.

*smile*

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.03. 2022 08:17 »
I have a later tank (with the two rings) on an earlier frame, and on mine it wasn't a direct replacement fit.
The centres of the rear rubber bushes were maybe 5-6 mm from the centre of the frame mounting, and there's no way they were going to fit.
I ended up turning two off-centre brass bushes on a lathe and using them with  rubber spacers on the stud to make a long but satisfactory rear tank mount. 

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.03. 2022 09:39 »
 Rex. Another conundrum.

For comparison, an early Plunger tank I have has lugs at 21" centres, which match the early plunger frame to hand. As far as I know the frame lug forgings and top frame tube remained the same, but further enlightenment from other sources is always welcome.

My  later rubber mount tank has longer slotted lug at the front, believed original and unmodified, giving far more adjustment and leeway than the early tank, which has smaller bolt/stud size holes.

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.03. 2022 10:17 »
My  later rubber mount tank has longer slotted lug at the front, believed original and unmodified, giving far more adjustment and leeway than the early tank, which has smaller bolt/stud size holes.
Same as my 1955 bike.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash