Author Topic: Attaching pdf files  (Read 584 times)

Offline Gearbox

• A's Good Friend
Attaching pdf files
« on: 23.10. 2021 10:04 »
Could I have some help please
. I posted a few small pdf files as a reply, but these do not open. Any idea what I am not doing correctly.
Many thanks

1957 GS with 1960 SR motor.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Attaching pdf files
« Reply #1 on: 23.10. 2021 16:07 »
Hello, works here, Firefox & Vivaldi (Chrome). + tested on a mobile phone, no problem downloading & opening. The "downloaded x times" shows that people are getting the files.

What's happening (or not happening) on your side?
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Gearbox

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 23.10. 2021 18:01 »
Thanks for the reply. I have attached files in responce to the lacing of A10 wheel and these will not open.

just had a brainwave and checked my download folder. These files do not open on site but download to my PC directly.
Is that what is supposed to happen?

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2021 18:13 »
"These files do not open on site"

Correct, there's no pdf reader in the forum software itself (have never seen that in any type of forum). It's a job for the browser (built-in reader). Different browsers deals with pdf's differently, some offer to open immediately, some not. And one can use a standalone pdf reader program installed on one's pc\mobile\tablet.

Have tested all the attached .pdf's, all working.

An example from Firefox, offers 'save' or 'open'. If choosing 'open', it saves it in a temp folder (see address bar above pdf in attach.) and displays the pdf, then deletes the temp file when closing the pdf window. Other browsers may not have the 'open' possibility, then it must be downloaded first, then opened.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Gearbox

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 25.10. 2021 08:27 »
Thank you again.
It seems to directly download the files, but does not give th options for open, save etc. Probably some setting on my browser (Firefox).
At least I know what happens now.
Cheers