Author Topic: Plunger with shocks mod  (Read 510 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Plunger with shocks mod
« on: 11.07. 2021 17:57 »
This picture came up on one of my BSA FaceAche groups. Looks like a possible improvement eh?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Plunger with shocks mod
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2021 20:10 »
Judging by the lack of shrouds, more for show than go? The lower spring looks pretty much coil-bound too.

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2021 23:17 »
It would be nice to have a bit of damping on the back rather than the launching out of the seat effect of just the plungie oingy boingy springy things.
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2021 23:24 »
It's the godawful KER-CLUNK when you haven't managed to dodge a pothole that I hate. Mind you I've noticed an improvement since I fitted a 4.00 x 19 Metzeler on the back wheel.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 12.07. 2021 06:36 »
You should get a hint of damping if the plungers are properly greased - i.e. so full of grease that some squidges out from the shrouds. If you have shrouds that is. When i bought my C11G aged 16, the plungers were seized solid. I freed them off by the simple expedient of taking a mate on the back and riding over a big pothole. That did the trick but it did put my mate off ever accepting a lift again.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.07. 2021 06:40 »
Judging by the lack of shrouds, more for show than go? The lower spring looks pretty much coil-bound too.

And is the pillar inside the main spring actually rusty? That’s a bit of a disgrace.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.07. 2021 20:51 »
 It's the dent in the mudguard from the single saddle that ***** me off, as well as the metallic clank, GB.  Next time I build a Plunger rear, I think a 1" O ring around the top of the fixed column may be enough to act as a crude bump stop and stop the clank without limiting the suspension travel too much. That it actually clanks shows it's moving, plunger columns  parallel in all vertical planes can't be common, they reckoned internal friction was the damping medium.

That top spring pictured looks to have a homespun spacer to raise the ride height, and like Rex says, the lower spring is in full compression and the damper is not really worth the effort, good chance it also fouls the lower mudguard stay. Rusty part is the sliding column, exposed workings pick up water and grit and if you go for this style it will end up as a rigid and a bugger to dismantle.

Swarfy.