Author Topic: A10 swing arm rocker box  (Read 543 times)

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
A10 swing arm rocker box
« on: 07.01. 2021 16:57 »
Anyone got a goodish condition rocker box all together and ready for use? Prefer one with flatish surfaces etc.
Cheers
BigJim
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: A10 swing arm rocker box
« Reply #1 on: 07.01. 2021 18:33 »
there are some rocker boxes on ebay jim, but what is wrong with yours these things never seem to have problems

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #2 on: 07.01. 2021 18:44 »
My rocker box sits quite snugly on my existing head. When offered up to my 2 spares it is high on the same spot on both of them. I thought the chances of both heads being high in the same place less likely than the rocker box being shaped to fit the original. I could start shaving the box to fit the other heads but would rather not until the old hid is officially binned. At the moment it's got 3 good working valves and the box that fits so not keen.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #3 on: 07.01. 2021 18:48 »
Will prob take a chance on the £80 one but thought it worth seeing what the forum might come up with.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.01. 2021 19:45 »
Nothing ten minutes on some upturned sandpaper on a (very) flat surface wouldn't cure.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.01. 2021 08:34 »
 Jim, A really convenient flat surface for checking purposes is your nearest window! With the lower studs removed any high spots and rock will  show up. To endorse RD, a quick rub down on a piece of glass supporting the abrasive paper was the time honoured way of achieving a flat mating surface.

With the valve guides removed your machinist can easily check the head face and take a light skim as necessary.

Used rocker boxes always carry the risk of pulled, worn and weak threads, plus the prospect of the unexpected crack you can't see in that well posed ebay picture. There are still plenty of them around, from the neglected and relatively unworn barn find covered in grease, to the shiny polished and so correspondingly expensive offerings.

For me, it's what's inside that counts and for that price level it has to be something special. Unless you have a definite area of damage or distortion rendering your existing rockerbox unserviceable, making the existing casting oil tight should be an easy call. Worth checking all the hold down bolts are tightening the box down, and not bottoming in blind holes. Corner studs also need to be fully into the casting, and the retaining nuts not bottoming on the plain area of the studs.

A set of aftermarket mushroom head tappets will help with the slight misalignment with the valve stems. Usual practice is not to bore cylinders until pistons are to hand, the bore can then be sized  on the basis of the running clearance calculated from the true piston dimension.

Swarfy.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #6 on: 09.01. 2021 09:56 »
Thank you, have asked for more info and photos on that £80 box on ebay. No response from seller so will watch and wait. Have had my box on a cheap mirror and it looks good. Like the idea of the mushroom tappets! Will look into that.
cheers
 *bright idea* *beer* *good3*