Author Topic: Early Swingarm Seat Pan Restoration Project.  (Read 2347 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Early Swingarm Seat Pan Restoration Project.
« Reply #30 on: 04.12. 2018 00:54 »
OK, here's a question for my elders and betters here (yes, at 71 you can call me "kid"). Are the rubber blocks pocketed below the seat supposed to ride on the frame? It looks like they are, but mine don't. Should I shim underneath them until they do?

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 04.12. 2018 13:31 »
Great work Richard. Makes me wish i hadn't thrown away my rotten old base when i bought a pattern replacement. Of course i would not have been able to create anything as complete as yours. Maybe i could have given it to someone like yourself who could have given it a new life'
 *good3* *clap*

Thanks, kindly. It's a good thing I don't have to do it for a living, but having done it myself is rewarding. Maybe unnecessarily, I put a lot of value on the idea of using an original pan. My bike is far from completely original. This is the result of about 10 years of wanting to replace my '60-'63 wide style (also restored by me) with the year-appropriate. ('55) '54-'59 style.

Richard L.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 04.12. 2018 18:57 »
Hi Richard,
Are the rubber blocks pocketed below the seat supposed to ride on the frame? It looks like they are, but mine don't. Should I shim underneath them until they do?

Yes, I would add packing into the seat "boxes" before the rubber blocks, until the seat is supported by the frame rails

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 04.12. 2018 19:47 »
Thanks, John. That's what I thought. Do you know if this is common, or do I have an unusual situation? I'll also check the height and level of the bracket on the mudguard and mudguard itself.

Richard L.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 04.12. 2018 19:56 »
Hi Richard,
I don't really know how common the problem is, but what is common is to see sagged seats where no rubber blocks or
the screw in buffers on the frame missing (different seat type)

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 24.05. 2020 17:25 »
Guys,

What with Peter's current search for a seat pan, and with time provided by staying home, I went back and read/re-read all the posts in this topic I started. It occured to me that, at the time, I was completely buried at work and did not give full due appreication for all your interesting posts. So, a year-and-a-half late, thanks for all your ideas, stories and recognition of my project.

Richard L.