Author Topic: Hi and a quick intro from Surrey, UK  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Active
Hi and a quick intro from Surrey, UK
« on: 02.03. 2018 11:53 »
Hi All, just introducing myself, I've just joined and not used to posting and using forums so please bear with me if I do something wrong :/
I am the proud new owner of a BSA which is both A7 and A10 so this forum is perfect!
A10 rigid frame from 1954 - supplied with sidecar gearing from the factory
A7 engine from 1950
Trials-ish trim with twin high level pipes, 21 inch front wheel and a mikuni carb (I think)
non-standard oil tank with isolating tap in the line and 'TAP' painted helpfully on the petrol cap (someone on here may well recognise that?)
I'm going to give her a service and replace the front tyre which is cracked but that's about all....hoping to get out on her soon, maybe the London-Brighton to watch them go past at Cowfold, she's all up and running otherwise

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hi and a quick intro from Surrey, UK
« Reply #1 on: 02.03. 2018 12:14 »
Welcome - more pics please.

You may get a few remarks with regard oil line taps before long. Oil lines are much like oil threads.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.03. 2018 12:15 »
Welcome Trumpet, interesting bike you got there, good to hear it's good to go when this weather departs.

Please think about getting rid of that tap, it's an "only need to forget once and disaster" thing, people do come up with ways to make it disaster proof (wired into the engine cut out and others), personally I'd put up with a bit of wet sumping rather than have one of those on my bike, others will have different opinions of course that's why we have a forum .
Anyhow have fun
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Trumpet

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 02.03. 2018 12:33 »
Thanks for the welcome and yes, I don't really like it and already started it in the 'wrong' position once so I will probably get rid of it. What are the consequences of wetsumping? It doesn't seem to have bothered my 6T over the years? Also if I'm messing with the lines what are the thoughts on an in-line filter? To be honest she's never going to be high mileage as a rigid trials-type bike, mostly just chuffing along to watch the Talmag etc although I do fancy the Dragon Rally but I have a rusty 1974 MZ250 that is begging me to take it.....

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.03. 2018 12:46 »
wet sumping -
oil leaks through the pump back into the engine sump, mostly results in a very smoky start that clears in a few minutes or if severe the accumulated oil escapes via the engine breather, leaving a pool of oil for your rear tyre to run through, not good.
When men used these bikes to get to work it was never that much of a problem as the bike was started every day and any accumulated oil would be small and disperse quickly, so there is one answer, just kick it into life maybe every day or three.
I have used the inline valve in the past and had no problems with, others disagree but apart from that valve (that goes in the return line) there is already another spring and ball valve like it already in the engine.
I don't use the valve now as neither of my bikes wet-sump since engine rebuild
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.03. 2018 13:06 »
 *welcome*

It seems to be my job to say this: Research the term 'Sludge Trap'

For example: https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=12335.0

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline PatM20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 02.03. 2018 14:28 »
Hi Trumpet and welcome to the Forum from another newbie.

Get yourself to The Dragon next year and stay at The Giler Arms on the Friday night.

I usually go om my WdM20, but went on a 61 Triumph cafe racer this year.

A bloke there went on his A10 which got me back into thinking about mine, which is in a million pieces at the moment; funny how when you have some time on your hands you run out of gas for the MIG.

Definitely get rid of the anti wet sumping valve. All BSAs with gear driven pumps wet sump if left standing. They are easier to start if you drain the sump first.

Bets of luck with the new bike.

Hope to see you camping in February next year.

Regards

Pat

Offline CotswoldsA7

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 02.03. 2018 15:24 »
Welcome to this great forum from another newbie. Lots of stuff going on and lots of great guys wishing to pass on good info' and knowledge. All the best. Chris.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 02.03. 2018 15:47 »
 *welcome*

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 02.03. 2018 20:16 »
G'day Trumpet.  *welcome*
She's a Long Stroke A7 set up for trials hence the 21" front wheel. All frames are stamped A7 (except the RGS and 54 Super Flash). If it's stamped A10 it would be a S/F and add to the exclusiveness.
Ditch the tap and add the filter. Do a bit of searching there's lots of info on both.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 03.03. 2018 02:39 »
Welcome to the internet's best forum. I'd love to see some more pics of the complete bike. Are there mufflers on the high pipes?

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #11 on: 03.03. 2018 05:33 »
 *welcome*
That is good advice from Muskrat, get rid of that tap ASAP. if you forget that tap (and you will forget) it is very costly.
You can get sump plates with drain plug in them, I just taped a 5/16 W in the steel sump plate to drain the oil and used a copper washer on a short bolt as a drain plug. works OK for me.
Cheers
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline Trumpet

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 03.03. 2018 16:10 »
Thanks all the the advice and info, I can see it's going to be a great forum for me :)

ok, tap is coming out and filter going in.

Here's another pic on the way home with it, plastic sheet over the engine and front number plate obscured but should give you an idea. I like the twin tool boxes between the pipes and rear mudguard.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 06.03. 2018 11:52 »
A very late but well meant  *welcome* from sunny Liverpool, hope you are already enjoying this wonderful forum, cheers Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 06.03. 2018 22:49 »

Hola Trumpet *welcome* ; yours looks/sounds a bit like the style of my Plunger Flashish, 21" front/18" rear , but with trumpet mufflers and no high pipes
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia