Author Topic: Life in spirals, with a die hard BSA A10 -54  (Read 700 times)

Offline BSAnders52

• Active
Life in spirals, with a die hard BSA A10 -54
« on: 26.05. 2017 13:14 »
HI, I shall try to make the storry short, though it starts, for me, in mid 1970?s.
I 1974, there was held in Stockholm, Sweden, the first world Environmental conference. People and dignitaries from all over the globe to try to solv the problems with environmental pollution..
One bloke in UK decided he wanted to join, and at the same time make a statement. He took his old BSA A10 from 1954, fitted with a Watsonian sidecar, but took off the "boat" and replaced it with a wooden plank floor. On this "transporter" side car he now put some propane flasks, and converted the engine to work on propane, and off he went ( Honestly I cant tell if this really is what happened, I only know he got here on a propane converted BSA..)

He got to Stockholm without any troubble, presumably, and stayed over the conference. I dont think he made that big an impact as he may have anticipated, since I have found nothing about his venture in the press. Anyhow, he stayed on in Sweden for a while, eventually sold the bike here and went home.

The bike was bought by someone who obviously intended to restore it to original set up. The big tare down started and resulted in a heap of loose parts and pieces.. bags of bolts and nuts, jars of springs.. No two items together.
In that state a friend of mine bought the "project", and I bought it from him in 1978, I believe..

I spent three years putting it together, not once but twice. First I painted it black with red stripes, but the paint peeled of very easily, so when I dropped a nut down the push rod shaft, one late autumn day, I realised it was too late to have it readdy for riding that years, so I could just strip it down again and have it properly, professionally, repainted. This time in Silver gray with red stripes.. I had found traces of silver gray on the speedometer house..

In 1981 it was complete and registered, I had found a replacement Watsonian sidecar "boat", of the same age and a fitting model ( I had no idea what it was originally) And used the bike like my regular transport for some 12+ years..

In early 90?s I reluctantly had to sell it due to the , then, growing family neded a better car.. Bye Bye old pal...
I sold it back to my friend I had bought it from, who after a month resold it for much more monney..

In 2009 I noticed an add on a Swedish variation of eBay, my BSA was for sale! It had a price tag I could never reach.. Oh, agony..

2014 , on another internet auction site, I found a home made 2015 almanac, made from pictures of the guy?s own collection of motorbikes. He listed those bikes not on display in the add, and among them was a BSA 1954 with sidecar. I contacted the seller and asked if it had my old registration number, and BINGO, it was ! I told him about the "provenance" and we agreed to try to meet, one day... He lives, and so does the bike, in the very north of Sweden in Kalix, wheras I live just outside Stockholm..

Last summer I was close, just some 300 km away from Kalix, but did not have the time..

Last weekend I get a phone call, it is the BSA guy. He and his brother have entered on a Grand tour of Sweden, Kalix to Smygehuk (equivalent to Lands End to John O?Groats), with the BSA and an old Husqvarna 120cc..
The journey ended just outside Stockholm, the BSA had started to cough black oil from the crankhouse ventilation and there was a nasty knock. Could I come to have a look? Join in the pondering.. After all I had put it together, 40 years ago.. I ought to know it by heart..
They had planned to visit me, a surprise visit, and sure I was surprised..

So, we found the oil pump to probably be the main culprit, then the knock , or rather tick-tick every turn, emanates from the Camshaft/ Pushrod, Valves area..only taking a look inside will tell exactly what is dammaged.

I now have my Old Comerade in my garage, 40 years later, who would ever have thought that.. I will  help to restore it, and they will come by next summer to continue their trip.

On another place in this forum, I will place some questions, I have forgotten quite a bit and workshops that can deal with theese bikes are more scarce now than when I was more actively working on them.
I do a lot of motor workshop tinkering, but focus has turned to two stroke, JAWA and CZ bikes, mostly ISDT and competition bikes. Though I still have my set of Whitworth spanners, and there is a Royal Enfield Interceptor lurking in the inner corners of the shed.. all in atoms..

Best regards From Sweden
Anders

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Life in spirals, with a die hard BSA A10 -54
« Reply #1 on: 26.05. 2017 14:06 »
Ho ho! Welcome to the forum Anders. *welcome* That's a great introduction post. At first when I saw how long the story was I thought I might not make it to the end, but it's a very interesting tale. I've had my A10 since '73, but it spent '79-'03 waiting outside for its rebuild, which also took three years. I can tell you, that's far from the longest term of ownership amongst our members.

Please do ask any questions you might have. No question is too minor, you will get fast and friendly help. We are always interested in photos of all states of work, disassemly and completed projects.

Richard L.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 26.05. 2017 17:41 »
Welcome  Anders.
Great story and you never know it might end with you both back together.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.05. 2017 20:38 »
Great post; well worth reading. It's heartbreaking that you do not own your lovely old lady. Luckily I managed to hang on to my '55 Plunger when I took it off the road in 1975. Also lucky that I didn't manage to start to dismantle it during all those years which meant it was all in one place when I retired four years ago. Your silver outfit looks very smart. I hope that somehow you can own your old machine again. Do you buy lottery tickets?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 26.05. 2017 21:17 »
G'day Anders, welcome to the Forum.
What a great intro post  *yeah*.
I'm sure we can help with any questions.
I'm sure there will be mixed emotions when the owner returns. But that last part needed may take years to find  ;).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.05. 2017 23:18 »
Great story, my love of BSAs also started in the mid seventies, some pics attached of various bikes I owned around that time. Note the 1959 red Super rocket (ignore the Honda 500-4!, and the floured trousers). Unlike your bike the super rocket is probably gone forever   *cry*

I bought a Golden Flash basket case a few years ago, joined this forum, got involved with the nz bsa club, been on some fantastic trips on the rebuilt bike, and made many new bsa friends  *smile*

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 27.05. 2017 10:42 »
Great history, welcome to the forum :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website