Author Topic: Newby just bought a basket case- NEW PHOTOS  (Read 1231 times)

Offline super sport

• Active
Newby just bought a basket case- NEW PHOTOS
« on: 12.03. 2017 13:10 »
I will be picking up what appears to be a 1960 Golden Flash this week. I friend of mine acquired two basket bikes- the BSA and a Norton Commando. He is not familiar with British bikes at all and I am no expert either. The first thing we'll try to do is sort the BSA parts from the Norton parts. That shouldn't be too hard. Then I have to to see what the BSA needs to get running.

I wish I had more skill and knowledge about British bikes and I'm hoping this forum will be of help when I have questions. I'm 61 years old and live in Wisconsin, USA. My only previous Brit bikes were a 441 Victor, a Triumph TR5T and a Triumph Trophy 500. My dad had a bike shop when I was growing up and sold Norton and Ducati in the 60's. I never acquired his mechanical skills except for working on 2-strokes.

Attached is what I'll be picking up in a few days. My friend sorted the parts. I'm guessing the chrome fenders are not original? Notice anything else?

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Newby just bought a basket case
« Reply #1 on: 12.03. 2017 17:05 »
Welcome, thanks for the fine intro post. Am sure you will get all the help you may need.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 12.03. 2017 18:55 »
Excellent start for a project. I've just had a look at your picture and can tell you the following are not BSA.... all the fork parts, lights, exhausts, the carburettor (might work but not original), handlebar levers, mudguards and wiring harness. You're lucky to have the original footrests and brake pedal, wheels, tool box and oil tank. The petrol tank looks like a small capacity tank, either Catalina type or 'export' but it is probably A10 though there was one fitted to the A65 which is similar. I can't see a dynamo anywhere on your pics. You may have a problem finding decent mudguards if you want to build something which looks original. My best advice (which you probably don't need!) is to be clear from the outset what type of finish or overall look you are aiming for e.g. original / restored, or 'special', or just a tidy runner. If you are aiming for original / restored you will need to look very carefully at what you've got and decide what can or can't be used then think about the availability and cost of suitable parts. On the other hand, a tidy runner, can be built quite reasonably with lots of replica parts which are available. For example, Gold Star mudguards and stays are in plentiful supply (OK the quality varies) and these will look fine if you just want to get up and running on a respectable bike fairly quickly. Anyway, good luck!

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 12.03. 2017 20:12 »
Thanks for all the info, Beezermac. I am at a disadvantage, not knowing my BSA's. I sure hope I can find a magneto in my friends pile of parts- that's gotta be a huge deal, right? Your note about the wiring harness scares me. Can you recommend a good source for some of the parts I need? Any sources in the US?

Do you happen to see parts in the photo that might be off his dismantled Norton Commando? The exhaust headers and collars? He might have just divided his parts pile wrong.

There is no way I am going to spend a lot of money to make this bike original or pristine. It would not hurt my feelings to substitute better working Japanese forks or generic chrome fenders. I see that I need a seat pan, too. This might end up being a "custom special". Below is a photo of a RD350 project that I took on a few years ago. Parts were super easy to find for the Yamaha and I turned it into a cafe racer bike.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.03. 2017 20:22 »
The headlight looks like a commando "S" type with the halo.
Fork yokes and stanchions are probably Norton.
The tank is most likely A65 as it has an aluminium flip cap.

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 12.03. 2017 21:01 »
That helps. Thank you.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 12.03. 2017 21:39 »
Super Sport,

Welcome to the forum. What luck to come across these barn finds. Whereabouts are you in Wisconsin? We have a few other members there who might be close enough to help out. I'm in Naperville, IL. (So not just around the corner.) If you are close,to the Illinois state line you should get friendly with Ed at Morrie's Place in Ringwood, IL.

I certainly think you are making the right choice to go for a tidy runner. While doing so, you can still keep a mostly original look. I think my bike has that look, but experts here could point to the "specials."

As for the parts, I'm no way as knowledgeable as Trevinoz or Beezermacc (who, himself, is a great parts source in the UK), but I had similar opinions about your parts. It would be very interesting to see the stack of parts designated as for being the Norton so that we might point to the ones that are mixed up.

Richard L.

beezermacc

« Reply #7 on: 13.03. 2017 08:38 »
Do you happen to see parts in the photo that might be off his dismantled Norton Commando? The exhaust headers and collars? He might have just divided his parts pile wrong.

I'd let him have the Norton stuff back and see if you can find any more A10 bits at his place. You need a dynamo, not magneto, which I can supply if you can't source in the US. There are plenty of US members on this forum - somebody should have a dynamo for you. I can probably supply anything you need but you're better off getting stuff in the US because of postage costs. Don't expect pattern parts to be as good as original ones, sometimes you're better off fettling old, original parts.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 13.03. 2017 09:24 »
 *welcome*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 13.03. 2017 12:31 »
I too started with a basket case for my first A10 build (a truckload of parts). Not yet finished, as I keep getting distracted by other projects that are more complete (Norton Commando and Velocette Venom) and therefore cheaper to finish and get on the road. You say you have little Brit experience. I strongly recommend reading up a bit on the brit hardware (just google whitworth). The variety is astonishing.

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 13.03. 2017 13:24 »
Super Sport,

Welcome to the forum. What luck to come across these barn finds. Whereabouts are you in Wisconsin? We have a few other members there who might be close enough to help out. I'm in Naperville, IL. (So not just around the corner.) If you are close,to the Illinois state line you should get friendly with Ed at Morrie's Place in Ringwood, IL.

Richard L.

I'm just a little north of Madison, Richard, so I will check out Morrie's Place. I have been going on the Slimey Crud run for the past 10 years... ever done that? My plan is to go grab everything that I am sure is not Norton. Then I'll take photos and show them on this forum and ask for help again.

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #11 on: 13.03. 2017 13:27 »

I'd let him have the Norton stuff back and see if you can find any more A10 bits at his place. You need a dynamo, not magneto, which I can supply if you can't source in the US. There are plenty of US members on this forum - somebody should have a dynamo for you. I can probably supply anything you need but you're better off getting stuff in the US because of postage costs. Don't expect pattern parts to be as good as original ones, sometimes you're better off fettling old, original parts.

Thank you again. I'm new here, but it sounds like you are a wealth of info and electronic parts. Thanks for taking the time to help us out. I will collect everything that I am sure is not Norton and repost some pics.

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 10.04. 2017 16:08 »
I'm back from my friend's shed with the 1960 BSA. There was also a basket Commando in the shed so I left what I knew was Norton and took everything else in the shed, but I'm sure some of it is Norton parts and some is not for an A10.  I see that I need forks, axles, seat, speedo and lots of fasteners. The motor moves and I have a title, so I'm hoping this will make a good "first-Brit project" for me. Could you look at the photos and tell me what you notice? Are forks and yokes going to be a difficult find in the States?

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 10.04. 2017 16:10 »
More photos. Thanks for your time!

Offline super sport

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 10.04. 2017 16:14 »
Last of the photos.