Author Topic: about time...  (Read 818 times)

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
about time...
« on: 13.08. 2016 10:45 »
After 18 months on this forum and lots of questions, it’s finally time for an introduction and bike photo. I’m in Auckland, New Zealand, with early years on japanese bikes and then many years not riding. I bought the A10 impulsively as it looked awesome, had matching numbers and hoping it wasn’t lethally fast (I didn’t think about lethal brakes back then). The PO had made it look beautiful but the top end burned a lot of oil and soon I spun the timing side bush and cracked the crank. So a full rebuild replacing just about everything that goes round and round or up and down – new crankshaft, Thunder rods, +80 pistons, camshaft, SRM valve gear / guides / pushrods / oil pump and endless other bits. Also repairs to the tach, loom, oil tank, advance-retard, forks, steering head, electrics and other stuff. I purposefully lost count of all the $$ spent, but once you start, what else to do? It’s happily on 6v E3L with a DVR2 reg and 6 -to-12V step-ups for LED indicators (as I commute sometimes). Starts first kick. Still to do the back shocks, improve the front brake and lights (currently LED but not bright enough). I’ve also got a B33 as a leisurely backup.

If it takes village to raise a child then it takes an awesome forum like this one and the local BSA OC to restore an A10. And a tolerant wife. Special mention to RocketRacer for friendly local encouragement and local legend Balancing Bob for all the tricky bits on the engine rebuild. Kia Kaha! And to everyone on this forum who let me test the theory that there are no dumb questions. Also time to update my avatar to one of a shiny A10 rather than the old pile of engine parts (as achieved below).
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: about time...
« Reply #1 on: 13.08. 2016 15:36 »
Congratulations. Great bike and an excellent example of perseverance, hard work and, yes, $$, paying off in an enjoyable result.

Richard L.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 13.08. 2016 20:18 »
Looks great! I'd be proud to ride that.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 13.08. 2016 20:53 »
G'day Mike.
Great to hear mate. Enjoy many miles of smiles.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 14.08. 2016 00:19 »
Very nice job & bike. Great to see such posts\photos.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 15.08. 2016 00:18 »
Yes, welcome mikeb

Very nice story and result. We're in Wellington (although Jay is shifting to Christchurch). I am connected with Rocket Racer and particularly KIWIGF. We might catch up at National Rally, then..

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 15.08. 2016 05:42 »
Hi Mike,
realy gread job, and its a pleasure to ride an A10.
My be I will have a look at the bike, when I visit my daughter end of November at New Zealand.
Will stay a couple of weeks.

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 15.08. 2016 13:25 »
Looks really nice.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 17.08. 2016 05:52 »
Mike,
 that is a lovely bike and giving me some encouragement to actually finish mine.
It certainly went very well on its inaugural break in run up to Whangarei and was smoking quick ... and reliable too!
Running in Oil changes made in real time on the way and monitored via smoke levels by your riding companions was something I hadn't seen before. Top marks for creativity!

You've certainly survived the A10 initiation rites and now know the rituals of maintenance  *eek*

You can take pride in having taken a bike that was fundementally mechanically compromised albeit still pretty looking and got the motor right  *wink2* and made some new friends or at least associates along the way.

Its been my pleasure to assist and watch your journey of enlightenment  *pull hair out* with the various trials of sorting the beast.

Well done  *yeah*
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 17.08. 2016 10:29 »
thanks for the welcome guys.
Klaus - if in auckland the bsaoc meetings are very welcoming: http://www.bsa.org.nz/index.php/calendar or PM me
Scott - not sure if I'll make taranaki tho sure will meet up some day
RR - does this mean I'm now enlightened? does my suffering now end?
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 18.08. 2016 13:46 »
Yes but you have to change your forum title to "grasshopper "
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom